Wednesday, July 7, 2010

first week re-cap

Since we have a lot of downtime, I figured I’d update on the cool navy stuff we’ve done on the ship. A few days ago (sorry, I have lost concept of days), we had an “abandon ship” drill where we mustered in our departments, put on life vests, and headed outside, to our designated lifeboats. The drill lasted about 40 minutes as we had to wait for everyone to be accounted for. While waiting, I got to talking to a 23 year old girl who is an EMT in the air force. She said said that in the air force, she has learned how to intubate, place chest tubes, and perform needle decompression. She was so excited to tell me that she’s had the opportunity to “push epi”. I told her that pushing meds gets old, but doing procedures, that’s cool stuff!

I emphatize with these young people in the military, and often wonder what made them join the service. You can find them out on the water deck, staring at the ocean, and pondering. Being in the middle of the ocean can drive anyone to think about life. We all question why we are here, what we are doing, what are we leaving back home, and what are we coming home to, or if we are coming home to anything at all.

Commodore Franchettie's NGO brief was interrupted by the “manning of the rails”. If I have not mentioned before, other military services are on the ship – air force, army, even military from partnering nat ons like Canada and Australia Basically. All the military personnel line the ship and man the rails as a sign of respect while the Japanese Kunisaki ship (that has been securing the Mercy) separates from us. The coolest part was seeing the hovercraft or LCAC (landing craft air-cushioned) spin like a wild tazmanian devil. I wish I could post pics but the NGO internet connection is soooooo slow, but it is worth watching on YouTube.

Today, we are scheduled to have an Indonesian culture and language brief. The translators are on board and all 60+ of them are staying in the wards.

The talk of the town is the crossing the equator ceremony that starts at 530am on the 10th We are told to wear a sports bra or a bathing suit (I’m guessing getting wet will be one of the dares/obstacles). Wes should also wear our clothes inside out, and something about putting your flip flops on your knees??? And if it gets to a point where “you can no longer taker it or in too much pain”, you can opt out. Hymmm… I’m a little apprehensive, but I know that I will regret it if I don’t go through with it. We have the steel beach party to look forward to in the afternoon =)

I can't believe it's been a week since I left home, and I still have a month left. The culture shock is slowly wearing off and I'm getting used to life on the ship. The end of the mission seems so far away, but I'm sure once we start anchoring on the remote islands, time will fly. There are moments where I am challenged mentally and emotionally. I wanted to cry on our first night but Ambien saved the day! I was assigned to the top bunk (highest of the 3-tiered bunk bed), and felt so claustrophobic. A thin sheet of metal separated me from the other bunk, where a girl from the Pre-dental association asked if I was okay. I told her that I wasn't sure if I would get through this. I had to take the ambien laying down due to limited head space, I thought for sure I was going to aspirate. Instead, I started whining, saying, "I can't even fit in my bed, and now I spilled water all over my mattress!". She must've thought I was insane. What was I thinking, joining a 5-week mission on a ship, where there is no way out but to swim to an inhabited land? I have to remind myself that there are people who are living in worse situations that I am, and currently suffering, and seeking humanitarian help... duh, That's why we are all here! During the MEDCAP (Medical Civic Assistance Project) brief, we were reminded that this is a humanitarian and civic assistance, not a medical mission. Our goal is not to perform extensive surgeries that require long recovery, or treat patients with severe medical conditions, such as cancer, but we are here to provide basic healthcare -- treat what we can, provide medication to acute illnesses, and serve the communities... DUH!

No comments:

Post a Comment