Tuesday, July 6, 2010

2 days in Singapore

july 4th, 2010

Tonight I ate the “fattest” meal I’ve had in months.  I’m pretty sure that I made by mom proud by eating… EGGS with a side of french fries! I went with two other Project Hope volunteers to a diner outside the ship, but within the base. It was our last meal before set sail tomorrow morning.

These past two days in Singapore have felt like a vacation.  Since we are not scheduled to “work” until we anchor in Indonesia, I took the time to see the city.  Singapore is definitely the cleanest city I have ever visited.  They have very strict laws on littering, jay walking, spitting, wearing revealing clothes, even chewing gum!  I had to nudge Kathy and pointed out the sign for a “$500 fine for eating/drinking in the train station”.   If they could only see our NYC subway stations, we would be in for a lot of caning… ouch!  

We had our first Project Hope meeting tonight and discussed the schedule for the upcoming weeks.  Turns out that we are making a stop in Jakarta.  Unfortunately, we will not be able to leave the ship as the stop is mainly for restocking medication and picking up translators.  The islands that we are visiting were not mentioned in the itinerary either, but we were told that we are making 3 stops in Indonesia, Papau in Micronesia, and finally to Darwin, Australia.

I am listed as a peds nurse, but during the meeting it was mentioned that we are short of one ICU nurse.  So, depending on the acuity or needs-basis, my role may change.  There is no PICU, therefore, the ICU nurse takes care of both adults and peds.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment