Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Easter from Rishikesh!

Hi guys,




It's only day 1 and I already like the vibe of the city.

I've made friends with the girls i shared the car service with from Delhi. We all went to town today and walked across the bridge. I have pictures on my phone but since i dno't have wifi, i can't upload them. it's $40 to get wifi for the entire 6 weeks but it feels liberating not to have it so i might opt out. All the other girls jumped on it as soon as we got here. Two of the three girls have bf's back home. One girl is from Australia (Rebecca), another from Halifax, Canada ( Kathleen), and the 3 rd girl is from Minnessotta (Brittany). Everyone seems like yoga pros so i'm a little intimated. I feel like such a newbie. There are other girls here who just finished the 200 hrs yoga course (the one i'm doing) and decided to stay and take the 300hr course. If I really like it here, I might do that but not definite.



I went to town to get some stuff for my room to make it feel a lil bit like home. I bought a floor runner, electric kettle for tea, and some toiletries. I found myself squatting on the floor, washing my underwear by hand in a bucket and it felt like dejavu. I said to myself, "man, i'm glad mom taught us how to wash our clothes by hand!". I bought tape so I can post some pics of you guys and my friends. Once i get wifi I will upload pics of my room, the place i'm staying, and the town. So far so good though. We have an orientation class at 530pm tonight. I'm really excited about this. It feels like being a freshman in college except i like what i will be learning.



ok, going back to my room to read a book but most likely fall asleep. They serve us food and we had an amazing lunch with roasted corn and dhal soup, semolina rice, and veggies.



I wish i can somehow send via email how it feels like being here. It's so peaceful and unlike jaipur or delhi, no one drags you to their store and haggle with you. The markets tell you the price and if you don't like it, they let you go w/o a problem. Everything is much cheaper than the big cities. I am totally obsessed with these pants I've been wearing since Jaipur. Stacy and I paid 250 rupees for our first pair in kerala, thinking we scored a bargain. We got to Pushkar and were able to talk the man down to 150 rupees for the pants so I bought 3 more. In Rishikesh, you can find one fo as little as 100 rupees (less than 2 bucks!). I def need to buy a bigger suitcase before I go home.



Ok, that's all for now.



love,

me

trying to make my room feel like home

my room is the one with the door open


after orientation


got my mat and reading supplies

and my lovely bathroom








No comments:

Post a Comment